Don’t tell me the
moon is shining;
show me the
glint of light
on broken glass.
— Anton Chekhov
Launch a new work, move your manuscript forward productively, revise to the polishing stage—wherever you are in the creative process, Words in Play offers instruction on craft, quality feedback, and the motivation and camaraderie inspired by a supportive writing community.
Through exercises in sensory perception, free writing, guided imagery, and associative thinking, you will learn how to dig deep into your imagination and mine for meaningful material. You will have the opportunity to submit draft pages for constructive critique. It also doesn’t hurt that you will be given deadlines . . . and we hold you to them.
Mingle with other writers at one of our weekend or weeklong retreats—designed to inspire, ignite, and encourage your craft while nourishing your creative soul. Click here for a current schedule.
Sample Weekend and One-day Retreats
- And the Plot Thickens
- Writing and Yoga
- Writing and Art
Past Retreats Travel Retreats
- Colors of Tuscany, Art and Writing in Cortona, Italy (2017)
- Art and Writing Beach Retreat, Higgins Beach, Maine (2016)
- Voices on the Wind, Art, Photography, and Writing on Block Island, Rhode Island (2015)
- Meet Your Muse at Lago Maggiore, Italy (2011)
- Tell a Tuscan Story, Art, Photography, and Writing Cortona, Italy (2008 and 2009)
Words in Play Can Come to You
Host a half-day retreat with Deb McKew. You provide the space and the participants, and Deb will tailor a half-day retreat for your group. Contact us for more details.